Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Finally getting into the 21st century....

Well, as many of you know, I work in the IT field. Im a Geek. Nerd. Egghead. Whatever. Well, Ive been at the same place for almost 10 years. I know just about everyone and vice versa. Today I had a call to assist one of our wonderful payroll ladies with our payroll modulator demodulator.

While I was down there unplugging, replugging, power cycling & rebooting things, I asked them a question I was sure they'd have an answer to.

Me: You guys' (ladies actually) don't by chance know how long banks are going to have to call "Insert Payroll Company name here" to verify my checks are valid when I deposit them, do ya?

Payroll lady #1 looks at me in confusion.
Payroll lady #2 also looks at me quizically.
Payroll lady #3 peeks her head around her cubicle to be sure I had actually said "Deposit my check" and also looks at me in confusion.

(Im guessing with the looks on their faces, Ive obviously confused them, and need to explain myself)

Me: Well, the last 3 times I've deposited my check, they've had to call "Insert Payroll Company name here" to verify my check was legit.

Payroll lady #1: You deposit your checks?

Me: Yes.

Payroll lady #3: You work in IT and you still deposit your checks?

Payroll lady #2: I certainly would have thought with your techinical back ground you would direct deposit your check?!

Payroll lady#1: Wow, only about 1/4 of people on payroll still actually depost their checks.

(Looking at all 3 ladies as though they just asked me the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.... I should have blurted out 42!, but then I'dve had to explain that too.)

Me: Well, I dunno, just never thought about it. (Still fumbling with wires trying to figure out why in the year 2007 a well known "Insert Payroll Company name here" would still be using a modem!???) No good reason I guess.

Payroll lady#1: Well, Id say when you start direct depositing your checks, they'll stop calling "Insert Payroll Company name here" to verify your checks.

Me: Gee, thanks Payroll lady #1. *shaking head*

Anyway, so I fix the modem and move on to the next task.

On my way out of their office, I stop and pick up a "Direct Deposit" form. I complete the form, then email Payroll lady #2 to find out where or who I need to take this to. She emails me back and says either bring it down or send it up to us in an inter-office mailer. I laugh, inter-office mailer? You're maybe 75-100 feet away! LoL I opt to walk it down there.

Payroll lady #2 wasnt at her desk (Some how in the 10 seconds after she had emailed me she vanished into thin air), so I left the form on her desk with a note.

5 mins later I get an email from her that made me chuckle:

"Atta girl!!
I'm proud of you :)
You're gonna love this trust me!"


*shaking head* Gotta love these ladies.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 Comments:

Blogger Diana Babbled...

I'm proud of you too!!!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Chris Johnson Babbled...

You are to funny!! Yea for you.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Violet Babbled...

I love the direct deposit. The only problem is that since I have no reason to go to the bank, I very rarely have any cash on me. I neglect even the ATM and just pay for everything with my Visa Check Card.

I've even gotten over feeling stupid for paying for my $1.18 tea at QT with my card. Just as easy as asking for change for a $5.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Casa