Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My Car is fixed!

Well, my poor car has been ill since after christmas. Thank god for good friends! Anyway, I finally had the time and $ to take it to the shop. I dropped it off at Dobbs on Saturday.

Pat from Dobbs called me on monday to give me the scoop. Apparently mechanics automatically assume that because Im a woman, I have no knowledge of the innerds of an engine or how it works. The conversation goes like this:

Pat: Hi, Nichole? This is Pat from Dobbs calling about your avenger?

Me: Hey Pat. So, whats the problem?

Pat: Well, you said there was smoke coming out the tailpipe when you started it or when it was idling.

Me: Right.

Pat: Well, I told you Id check that before I even ran diags. We started it up and there was a minimal amount of smoke coming out of it. We let it idle for a while, and still wasnt a lot of smoke or enough to cause us to be concerned.

Me: Well, there was always enough for me to see it come around to the drivers side after I started it or when I was sitting at a stop light.

Pat: Well, I really dont think its a concern.

Me: Well, Ok.

Pat: The issue really seems to be with your spark plugs.

Me:Ok. I figured as much

Pat: Hmm, um, how do I explain this.

Me: By telling me what the issue is? Duh!

Pat: Ok, Well, not really the spark plugs, but with the rings in the holes that the spark plugs fit into. Do you know anything about where the sparkplug's go?

Me: (Thinking to myself sarcastically "No, I'm just a dumbass broad and have no idea what you're talking about") Yes, actually I do.

Pat: How long would you say its been since you've had your plugs and wires done?

Me: Hmm, about 4 years at least.

Pat: OK, well the rings are deteriorated, which has caused oil to seep in, and is affecting the electrical system and in turn causing your car to misfire, blah blah blah.

Me: Ok, I completely understand. So you need to replace the rings, plugs and wires?

Pat: Yeah.

Me: and possibly the valve cover gasket?

Pat: (Pausing and Sounding astonished) Well, Yeah!

Me: Ok, so how much is this gonna run me?

Pat: Right now, around $582.00

Me: Ok, go ahead....

So, that was my conversation with Pat from Dobbs. Now, I may not know a lot about engines, but thanks to My Father and Mikey, I know enough to get by. Just irritates me that mechanics always assume that because Im a female, I know nothing. I love it when I make them stop and think "Whoa".

Thanks Dad, Thanks Mikey.

Well, Ron from Dobbs called me today. The total was only $578.41. Wow, $3.59 cheaper than what I was originally quoted. It's times like this that really makes me miss having my own personal mike-chanic. *sigh* LoL

1 Comments:

Blogger Violet Babbled...

Hey, $3.59 will buy you a value meal from McDonald's... Well, not quite a value meal, but at least a happy meal.

Good for you for showing that guy that you know some shit. Guys who still act like women are helpless, vulnerable little things are obnoxious.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Casa